Tuesday, February 1, 2011

UPDATED From the FreeP: O'Brien done for season

By Craig Meyer and René Reyes/DFP Staff

Boston University men’s basketball junior forward Jake O’Brien, one of the Terriers’ tri-captains and their second leading scorer, will miss the remainder of the 2010-11 season with a foot injury, BU coach Patrick Chambers announced on Monday.

“It was very difficult to hear I wouldn’t be able to play the rest of the season,” O’Brien said in a Facebook message. “I enjoy going out and competing with my teammates on a daily basis. However, things happen and this was the card I was dealt, and I’m confident in our team and the guys have to step up in my absence.”

The former Boston College High School standout and preseason America East all-conference selection fractured the navicular bone in his left foot during a Dec. 31 game at University of Massachusetts-Amherst.

O’Brien will undergo season-ending surgery next week and will be in a cast for eight weeks following the medical procedure. Then he’ll begin his rehab, with an eye toward returning for the start of the 2011-12 campaign.

Read more at www.dailyfreepress.com

No comments: